cholesterol biosynthesis pathway
- Covers sections on model systems and functional studies, imaging-based approaches and emerging studies
- Chapters are written by experts in the field
- Cutting-edge material
Introduction to Biological Membranes: Composition, Structure and Function, Second Edition is a greatly expanded revision of the first edition that integrates many aspects of complex biological membrane functions with their composition and structure. A single membrane is composed of hundreds of proteins and thousands of lipids, all in constant flux. Every aspect of membrane structural studies involves parameters that are very small and fast.
Both size and time ranges are so vast that multiple instrumentations must be employed, often simultaneously. As a result, a variety of highly specialized and esoteric biochemical and biophysical methodologies are often utilized. This book addresses the salient features of membranes at the molecular level, offering cohesive, foundational information for advanced undergraduate students, graduate students, biochemists, and membranologists who seek a broad overview of membrane science.
- Significantly expanded coverage on function, composition, and structure
- Brings together complex aspects of membrane research in a universally understandable manner
- Features profiles of membrane pioneers detailing how contemporary studies originated
- Includes a timeline of important discoveries related to membrane science